Raw Southwest Spring Carrot Gnocchi with Spicy Chili Sauce
Difficulty 5 minutes Serves 4
This hearty and filling recipe by Amy Lyons of Fragrant Vanilla Cake
is a satisfying and delicious combination of savory Italian and Southwestern flavors! A great option for raw foodists or simply those looking to avoid excess carbs. Give it a try!
Ingredients Gnocchi: 2 1/2 cups chopped carrot 1/2 cup raw shelled hemp seeds 1/2 cup raw almonds 1/4 cup nutritional yeast sea salt to taste 2 garlic cloves 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed 1 Tbsp cumin seeds 1 tsp turmeric a pinch cayenne 1 cup sprouted chickpea flour or sprouted quinoa flour 1/2 cup coconut flour (plus more as needed) Sauce: 1 large tomato 1 red bell pepper 1 medium carrot 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (soaked until soft and drained) 3 dates 1 garlic clove sea salt 1/2 tsp chipotle powder 1 tsp cumin 2 Tbsp almond butter 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces 1 red bell pepper, or mini peppers cut julienne (or sliced if you have the mini pepper) a few scallions, sliced
Directions 1) For the gnocchi, combine the carrots, hemp seeds, almonds, yeast, sea salt, garlic, flax, cumin, turmeric and cayenne in a high speed blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. If using the blender, transfer to a food processor before adding the flours.
2) Add the chickpea flour, and process until smooth.
3) Add 1/2 cup of the coconut flour and process until smooth.
4) Remove from the food processor and place in a large bowl. Knead in more coconut flour a little at a time until you have a soft but not too sticky dough (the less you add, the more tender the gnocchi will be, and I ended up with about 1/4 cup additional flour).
5) Shape into little gnocchi shapes, and set aside on a plate (or if you want them warm, place them in the dehydrator at 115F while you prepare the sauce).
6) To make the sauce, combine all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
7) When ready to plate, spoon some of the sauce onto a serving plate, top with some gnocchi, some asparagus and spoon some more of the sauce over.
8) Top with peppers and scallions. Serve!