Raw Vegan Sugar-Free Key Lime Pie
Difficulty 5 minutes Serves
It really can't get any sweeter than this - especially while being sugar-free! This raw, vegan key lime pie by Summer Sanders of Strong and Radiant and Local Juicery is refreshingly healthy, while also being crazy-delicious. Sweetened with birch sugar xylitol - a "no-glycemic" sweetener alternative, this recipe may just become your new favorite dessert.
2 cups whole dry cashews 1/2 cup shredded coconut 3 tablespoons raw coconut sugar or xylitol 2 tablespoons lime zest 1 tablespoon lime juice 1/2 teaspoon sea salt 1/3 cup coconut oil Lime a nine inch square springform pan with plastic wrap and set aside. In a food processor, combine cashews, coconut flakes, coconut sugar, lime zest and juice, sea salt and coconut oil. Pulse until a cookie dough consistency forms. Roll into a large ball and place in your pan. Push down from the middle creating a smooth and even crust. Place in the freezer.
5 small Hass avocados, pitted 2 cups cashews, soaked 1/3 cup lime juice 3 tablespoons lime zest 1/3 cup coconut oil 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean grounds 1/2 teaspoon sea salt 3/4 cup xylitol or favorite dry raw sweetener Reserve 1/3 of this filling for top layer.
2 cups spinach
1/2 teaspoon spirulina powder
1 whole lime, peeled
2 tablespoons raw honey or xylitol
Directions 1. In your high-speed blender combine, avocados, cashews, lime juice and zest, coconut oil, vanilla, salt and sweetener.
2. Blend in high using a plunger if available. Let's the mix get very cream.
3. Take out your crust and pour 3/4 of the filling into the frozen crust. Shake and tap on the table to even out. Place back into the freezer.
1. Blend the reserved filling with spinach, spirulina, whole peeled lime and sweetener. This is best done in high in a blender such as a vitamin. Let it get very creamy.
2. Take out the pie and pour the topping over using a spatula to spread. Once it's smoothly spread, shake and tap the pan.
3. Put back into the freezer for 2 hours.
4. To serve, cut slices into squares top with lime zest and a thin slice of lime for beauty.
This layer cake can be frozen and kept for up to 3 months.