Witches Date on a Broomstick
Difficulty 5 minutes Serves 25 to 40
Ingredients 25 Medjool dates (medium to large size, soft and pitted - when pitting be sure not to break date in two)
25 Wooden Paddle Pop Sticks
For Carob dipping hard 'choc-top' sauce:
1 1/2 Cups Carob powder
1 1/4 Cups Cacao Butter (melted measurement)
2 tsp Vanilla powder
2 Tbsp Coconut nectar (low GI) OR honey, OR maple syrup
1/2 Cup Coconut Palm Sugar (low GI)
1/2 tsp High mineral salt (Celtic, or Pink Himalayan)
1/4 Cup Coconut flakes (desiccated) for garnish
Directions ◦ Place paddle pop sticks inside of dates where pitt was removed and mold date around the stick into the shape of a witches broom end. Do this while you boil your water on the stove for melting cacao butter.
◦ You want near to boiling water (not boiling) pour water into a stainless steel bowl. Ready a tray with baking paper on it for when you will be laying out your broom sticks later on in the recipe.
◦ Chop up cacao butter very finely, or use a grater and place into a small stainless steel bowl that fits inside of the larger one with water inside (you could use a bowl inside of a stove pot too). Allow to stand and melt stirring occasionally. The temperature inside the cacao butter should not be hot to the touch, but should be warm and melting slowly.
◦ Pour cacao butter into a dry blender (be sure there is no water residue in blender, as this will effect cacao butter) and continue to add all remaining ingredients, except the coconut flakes with powders last.
◦ Blend ingredients until well combined (you may have to take the lid off and use a spatula to help the vortex spin - be carful not to place inside too far or the blade will cut it off!)
◦ Pour out carob mixture into a glass, or stainless steel bowl that isn't too cold for dipping.
◦ Take each date pop stick and using the wooden paddle pop stick to hang on to submerge the date totally into the mixture. You may want to use a spatula to make sure the date is completely covered on all sides. Lay out onto prepared tray lined with baking paper and set up in the freezer.
◦ These delicious Witches Date on a Broomstick will be a Hall-Raw-een favourite and can be kept in a sealed container (stores well) in the freezer until ready to eat!